Arduino Soldering Workshop
|Type of Event:||Workshop|
|From:||2009/03/15 03:00:00 PM|
|Till:||2009/03/15 08:00:00 PM|
|Cost:||free"free" is not a number.|
Log-in to RSVP
|Contact Person(s):||SteveClement (mail)|
|Where:||Hackerspace, Strassen (11, rue du Cimetière, L-8018 Strassen, Luxembourg)|
|Add to your calendar:||Download … further results|
What is it about?
On the 15th of March we are going to solder an Serial Arduino Board and a few Velleman Kits to afterward Hack them and make them behave in a different way than originally conceived. (Limited to 10 People!)
Arduino, that is. The Arduino Board is based on the Atmega 168 Microprocessor and comes with a very easy to use development platform. We will explain every possible step from the Soldering to your first Blinking LED. Need more explications, the Tube is your friend:
The Workshop will be held in the C3L Admin HQ
DoorBell: Michael Quest
99A, rue Laurent Ménager L-2143 Luxembourg
Needed Skill Level
You can be a Total Beginner or an advanced überGeek in electronics (meaning you smell Resistor and no it's characteristics) We have something for everyone!
The different instructions will be given in the Language you understand (.lu/.de/.fr/.en) so no worries just come along.
Starting from 15h00 we will go through the different Kits and decide who does what. Then a short introduction into Arduinos' and the different offspring. The beginner group will then get a more or less detailed introduction into the different parts of the Arduino Kit. The expert group can Hack away immediately and share their experiences with the rest of us. Once everyone has a more or less functional Arduino Board we will hook it up to the Laptops and Program the Board with an easy circuit first and, time permitting, something fancier afterwards.
We will provide
There will be approximately 6 full soldering stations with all the necessary gear (Multimeter, Wire cutter tools, etc...)
These sets will be available FOR SALE. So in case you like what you did and want to become a REAL Pirate make a future proof investment.
Most of the Kits will be in 3 exemplars, if you are really keen on one, reserve it please.
- A Room (kindly provided by emQue)
- 6 30W Soldering Irons with an adequate Tip and stand (but please bring your own should you have one)
- 6 Third-hands
- 6 Multimeter (again, you have one bring it please)
- 6 Ubuntu Laptops with the Arduino IDE
- Power supplies (some regulated some not, Voltage varies)
- 500g (yeah) of 1mm and 0.7mm Solder
- De-soldering stuff
- Maybe an Oscilloscope (Who can bring one please?)
- Arduino Docu http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596155513/ (10€)
- Arduino Parts http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/PartsSerialV2 (22€)
- Arduino PCB http://tinyurl.com/bo3cy9 (7€)
- Arduino Ethernet Shields http://tinyurl.com/c2wqxk (35€) AND http://tinyurl.com/ahcgu7 (15€)
- Arduino Wave Shield for audio http://tinyurl.com/c3uq2j (22€)
- USBtoSerial http://tinyurl.com/coy8a5 (15€)
- A starter Kit to be ready to SolderRock in minutes:
- http://tinyurl.com/dcb3ba (arduino Stuff 29€ plus the Starter Kit 29€)
- http://www.velleman.be/be/en/product/view/?id=338491 (9€)
- http://www.velleman.be/be/en/product/view/?id=338563 (11€)
- http://www.velleman.be/be/en/product/view/?id=339222 (9€)
- http://www.velleman.be/be/en/product/view/?id=346576 (16€)
- http://tinyurl.com/67u3ly (18€)
- http://tinyurl.com/qb483 (40€)
(and some more so join the Workshop to check it out)
No real costs are involved (obviously parts aren't for free), the only thing that would be fair is to be a member (or at least consider becoming one) of the HackerSpace as this Workshop would theoretically be in that Space that is rented/donated/whatever in the Future.
If you have an Arduino already bring it along, if you have an disassembled/maybe_damaged Arduino come along too and we'll fix it.
If you have NOTHING please come along with at least 29€ for the Arduino Kit the rest will be there at your disposal.
If you want to get seriously into prototyping and Soldering consider our essentials.
- A soldering Iron (30W) with all you need to get Started (solder stuff/de-solder pump/wires etc...) - 25€
- Tools (Diagonal cutters, cutter, round nose pliers, third hand) - 16€
- Multimeter http://www.sly.de/artikeldet.php?artnr=DVM850BL - 17€
- The Starter Pack with a bread board - 29€ http://tinyurl.com/cdubh9
- The full Arduino Serial stuff - 29€ PCB + Parts
- A fancy box to keep all the spare parts tidy - 5€
And as an HackerSpace exclusive we offer you the following deal -
Iron + Tools + Multimeter + Starter Pack + The Full Arduino Stuff Totals to: 116€ Deal: 109€
IMPORTANT! If you combine this with a fine HackerSpace membership of only 42€ (21€ Students and People that seek work) another 10€ will be slashed bringing this to a ludicrous price of 99€
Everything can be purchased separately and will be available on the Day itself BUT please Order beforehand.
For the different Kit pricing see above but obviously you can bring and roll your own. (Highly encouraged!)
For the more adventurous
If you want to break all the rules and start going crazy why not try a LED-Cube? Or a LED-Square?
- 3x3x3 http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2007/09/make_a_pocket_led_cube_we.html
- 4x4x4 http://www.instructables.com/id/LED-Cube-4x4x4/
- 8x8x8 http://hypnocube.com/category/8square/
Either buy your kit or even better roll your own.
Random Pirate Surfs by and rants
OI! The pre-assembled Kit is 22€ and you charge me 29€! Scallywag!
A: Well me dear Matey. Pre-assembled means NO SPARE PARTS! And most of all NO FUN! 29 €-Bucks gives you all the fun plus the fun to fry-up some parts if you are new to this Sweet trade.
Arrrr, me get it! But Landlubber Avast! On tha Internet me Mateys and I found the Swag for only a few Doubloons! Scallywag!
A: Hmmm, persistent are ya! In Pirate Land things are obviously different, but Ordering this for at least 10 Mateys and making sure all will go right takes time. And we wanted to Support the Local economy (and NOT international waters) we bought most of the stuff from a fellow Partner call SAM S.A http://www.sam.lu Oh yeah AND we have a PirateSpace to fund so y'all can Safely Sail the International nets!
Aye! So sheer Booty in 'he end!
Want do participate?
Just Surfed by and want to Buy some stuff?
No problems just drop us a line and we'll manage! Mailto: steve _AAAAATTTTTT_ hackerspace.lu
- Buy a Pirate shirt, a hoody or other apparel from our Spreadshop!
Real Pirates wear this - http://tinyurl.com/cqryqx - for the WorkShop!
Now that the first Session has ended, quite a few are new Arduino Pirates, we can proceed to step 2. Programming and altering.
If you have a Wii-nunchuck around we could:
Arrrrduino Part Deux
On this years C3L SummerCamp we will have the second half of the Arduino Session